District Disaster Management Plan
A DISASTER means a sudden calamitous event bringing great damage, loss or destruction. Natural disasters broadly a sudden or great misfortune of failure. The partly was a Disaster.
The Organisation and management of resources and responsibilities for dealing with all humanitarians aspects of emergencies, in particular preparedness, response and recovery in order to lessen the impact of the disasters is the Disaster Management.
District Disaster Management Authority:
There is possibility of occurrence of the following natural disasters in the Annamaiah District.
- Floods/Heavy Rains
- Heat Waves
The Primary cause of drought is deficiency of rainfall and in particular, the timing, distribution and intensity of this deficiency in relation to existing reserves. A prolonged period of relatively dry weather leading to drought is a widely recognized climate anomaly. Drought can be devastating as water supplies dry up, crops fail to grow, animals die and malnutrition and ill health become widespread. The environmental effects of drought, including salinisation of soil and ground water decline, increased pollution of fresh water and echo systems and regional extinction of animal species.
The concerned line departments viz., Agriculture, Horticulture, Animal Husbandry, Rural Water Supply, Public Health, Women and Child Welfare, Civil Supplies, Ground Water and Rural Development have taken various measures to mitigate the drought situations in the district during the drought
Flood / Heavy Rains:
Natural Disaster Management Division has defined Floods as – “Floods are temporary inundation of large regions as a result of an increase in reservoir, or of river flooding their banks because of heavy rains, high winds, cyclones, storm surge along the coast, Tsunami, melting snow or dam Bursts”. The Flood is also defined as an overflow of expanse of water that submerge land.
- Floods due to heavy Rains occurred in the District during 2001, 2005, 2009, 2010, 2015 & 2021.
- The Fire Service personnel have participated in Rescue and rehabilitation operation and rescued number of people and bailed out the water from dwelling houses, offices and other occupancy buildings and also supplied the drinking water to the public from Fire Tenders and necessary mitigations measures are taken by the concerned departments.
- During March, 2018, Heavy winds are received in the Vontimitta Mandal on the event of Sri Kodanda Ramaswamy Kalyanothsavam on 30th March, 2018 causing death of 4 persons and injuries to 39 persons.
- During 2019, necessary precautionary measures have taken like arranging NDRF Rescue Teams, creating awareness among students and people by organizing Mock Drills by Fire Department and NDRF Rescue Teams, the event of Sri Kodanda Ramaswamy kalyanothsavam was performed peacefully without any untoward incident
A Prolonged period of abnormally Hot Weather. When a Heat Wave occurs, many people become increasingly bad-tempered.
During Summer the Heat Waves occurs in the District and the following measures are being taken in the district to create awareness among the public to mitigate the Heat Waves.
- Construction of Drinking water points at various places.
- Supply of Drinking water by Tankers in Rural and Urban areas.
- Supply of Butter Milk to the people at free of cost.
- Conducting of Awareness camps and Medical Camps in the Rural and Urban areas by the Medical and Health Departments.
- The Do’s and Don’ts are given wide publicity among the public by distributing the pamplets and sticking the posters are various conspicuous places in the Rural and Urban areas.
The following departments will provide the preparatory arrangements for facing the disaster in the District.
- Medical and Health Department
- Fire Department :-
Foam Tenders, Advance Water Tenders, Water Tenders, Mist Jeeps, Mist Bullets, Fire Suits etc. These are available at the District Fire Office are being used for preventing of Disaster intime.
Fisheries Department :-
The department is prepared to provide necessary help to the victims at the time of Flooding through Life Jackets and Country Boats along with Yatch Swimmers.
Medical and Health Department :-
Medical and Health Departments supplies the Medicines and First Aid Kits, Spine Boards, Stretchers, Incubators, Portable Ventilators etc at the time of emergency for taking rescue operations to the victims.